Lighting up the Helwick
Lighting up The Helwick – Light vessel No.91
Gavin Electrical engineering has completed installation work to install LED lighting to up lighting to the Helwick ship which was Decommissioned 1977, now museum ship currently moored At the south entrance to the National Waterfront Museum.
Our work includes
- Installation of supply from local pontoon bollard.
- Installation of distribution board within ship
- Outgoing SY cabling for lighting circuit
- Installation of Sangamo Q553 timeclock
- Installation of soft duct outdoor rated cabling protectors
- Installation of Robus Remy IP65 floodlights
- Installation of Robus duet outdoor spot lights
- Installation of clear outdoor rated rope lighting
- Installation Kemo M114N Flasher Module with Adjustable Flash Sequence Module to control lighting tower
Our installation will up light the ship 7 days a week until 11.00pm
History of light ship No.91
This light vessel was built as No. 91 for the Corporation of Trinity House by Philip and Son Ltd. of Dartmouth in 1937. She was deployed on various stations, her first being the Humber from 1937 to 1942. On 3 April 1942 she was damaged in collision with steamer MAURICE ROSE and again on 1 September 1942, she was hit by the steamer ARMATHIA. She moved to her final station, the Helwick, off the Worm's Head, for the last six years of her sea-service from 1971 to 1977. Like nearly all lightships she is not self-propelled, being towed to each station by a tug. Her diesel engines were used to generate electricity to power the light and to make compressed air to operate the fog horn. LV 91 had eight 110 volt (375 watt) lamps giving 650,000 candle power. Whilst stationed on Helwick her lamp sequence was 0.5 second flash and 9.5 second eclipse. Her fog horn, powered by compressed air at 35lbs per square inch sounded one blast of three seconds followed by twenty seven seconds of silence. Her full complement of crew was two masters and nine men who rotated on a four week cycle with only seven on board at any one time. The crew were relieved by boat right up until her retirement as the layout of the deck with two masts meant that there was no space to build a landing platform for helicopters. Swansea Museum acquired LV 91 in 1977 with a 50% grant from the Science Museum and monies raised by The Friends of the Maritime and Industrial Museum. Source; David Jenkins, Advisory Committee, March 2009.
Helwick Light Vessel No. 91 pub: Swansea Maritime Museum.